This tutorial will walk you through how to straighten, color and trim natural hair for a style refresh
You may be hesitant to straighten natural hair because you are afraid of heat damage. And sometimes, it just seems like a waste of time and money because your hair gets frizzy again in just two seconds. But sometimes we just need to give our hair a breather, from braids and weaves and just let it out. And with the right tools, you can you can get the job done well.
One of the best things about natural hair is its versatility. You can wear it curly today, then you can straighten natural hair tomorrow for a different look. This allows you not only to have a different hairstyle, but it can change up your entire look.
Below is the before picture. Unstraightened, uncolored and untrimmed.
Let’s get this underway. Here is what you’ll need:
- Protective bib/ towel
- Hair color of your choice
- Hair clips
- Hair oil
- Heat protectant
- Paddle brush
- Hair dryer
- Flat iron
- Tail comb
- Trimming scissors
Color Natural Hair
- Put on your protective bib or use a towel to protect your clothing from the possibility of being touched by the hair color.
- Divide hair into four sections to make it easier to work with.
- Apply color to your hair section by section, using your fingers to smooth it through ensuring everything is nice and coated.
- When you are done each section, let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Shampoo and condition
- Section hair into 4 parts again to dry.
- Add oil to one section and dry to a point with just the hair dryer.
- Then use a paddle brush with a hair dryer to completely dry the hair.
- Place hair into two high buns to get the hair out of the way.
Straighten Natural Hair
- Section hair into small pieces with a tail comb and pass over the section with the comb and flat iron slowly.
- Continue step 10 until all you have all straightened hair.
- When done straightening, it is time to trim.
Trim Natural Hair
- Again section your Hair into four parts and work on one section at a time.
- Take medium size sections of hair, comb them out and hold the hair at an angle to the head.
- Trim the thin and uneven ends that looks dry and frizzy, this should just be a couple centimeters of hair.
You’re all done!
Once you have done all the steps here to color your hair, straighten natural hair and trim your result should be straight, shiny, healthy looking hair.
When you’re ready to go back to your curls, all you have to do is shampoo your hair and voila you are back to being your curly self.