Here, we’ll show you how to refresh your go-to cornrow style in short, easy-to-follow steps
It’s almost summer and with the heat we have to get that hair off of our backs and off our shoulders. A great way to do this is with cornrow hairstyles with twists. These not only help you keep cool during the day, but are great protective hairstyles to keep your car looking its best and healthiest. So without further ado, let’s get to our featured style: The Braided Curly Frohawk.
Cornrow Style #1: Curly Braided Frohawk
Courtesy Instagram: @zeli_
If you like seeing your curls and love a little playfulness, you can sport cornrows, but don’t have to cornrow your hair out to the end. With this hairstyle you get to leave your curly ends out for fabulous flair. This look is good for those who have naturally curly hair and have oval or round faces.
How to Style Your Curly Braided Frohawk
- Start with clean hair, section and put in the braids in a design you would like. At the end of the cornrows you can secure your hair with a bobby pin or with hair elastics so the braid doesn’t unravel.
- Apply your preferred curl sculpting product to the ends and style your curls as you like.
The recommended product for this style is the Kinky Curly Curling Custard. This provides adequate moisture and with proper maintenance will allow you to keep this hairstyle up to two weeks.
Cornrow Style #2: Braided Side Ponytail
Courtesy Instagram: @thestlouiswonder
This hairstyle is great on either curly or straight hair. It allows you the opportunity to still have your hair down but off your neck and back where you may find it uncomfortable. This hairstyle is suitable for those with long hair and round or oval shaped faces.
How to Style Your Braided Side Ponytail
- Start with clean and tangle free hair. Section your hair into two parts and start your cornrow at the front of your hair and braid the hair down the side and to the back in a curved pattern. Repeat on the other side.
- Pull hair left out of the cornrow into a side ponytail.
- Curl with Flexi rods/perm rods or with your fingers and allow your hair to dry.
- Once dry, pull the curls apart or style them as you would like to cascade down the side.
The recommended products for this hairstyle are the Rub on Shine and Glazed Edges products from Influence.
Cornrow Style #3: Coily Mohawk
Courtesy Instagram: @nitehair
This is one of the sexiest cornrow hairstyles. It features hair braided up on the sides with a coily Mohawk. This style is good for those with oval faces and short to medium length coily or kinky hair textures. If you would like to give this look some pop you could add temporary hair color to the ends.
How to Style Your Coily Mohawk
- Section hair and braid up the sides on both sides of the head. You can braid hair straight up or create your own pattern.
- Style your coily hair to fall into a Mohawk in a manner you prefer.
A recommended product for this hairstyle is the Shine Spray from Influence.
Cornrow Style #4: Twisted Bun
Courtesy Instagram: @keezyb
For those days when you want all that hair up and out of the way you can turn to this type of hairstyle. This hairstyle is ideal for round or oval faces, but can work well with any type of face shape actually. It is also great for any type or texture hair.
How to Style Your Twisted Bun
- Gather your hair in a ponytail in the center of your head.
- Secure the ponytail and then twist the ends of your hair into multiple twists.
- Wrap twists to create a bun and secure in place with bobby pins.
- Spray on some shine.
The recommended product for this look is the Shine Spray from Influence.
Cornrow Style #5: Braided Diva
Courtesy Instagram: @raycharles9083
Cornrow hairstyles don’t have to be symmetrical, like this one which has cornrows going to one side and ending in long braids. The picture features monochromatic braids, but you can add color to jazz the look up a bit and can choose larger braids for a different look. This style works best with oval faces and for hair textures that are medium to coarse, especially if you have to add hair extensions.
How to Style the Braided Diva Look
- Section hair and braid to the side as seen in the photo, adding synthetic hair to create more length if necessary.
- Add some shine.
Recommended for this style is the Shine Spray from Influence.
Cornrow Style #6: Braided Beauty
Courtesy Instagram: @mz_ebonykween
If you want to do a simple protective style for the summer, one that will be hassle free for you to maintain and won’t take up too much of your time then these simple braids are great. You can put them in as long or as short as you like as well as thick or as skinny as you like. They are easy to do and if you have long hair you won’t even need the hair extensions. You can change this look up from week to week by changing the style in which you section the hair and how the hair is braided down your scalp.
Recommended products for this style include the Rub on Shine from Influence as well as Medium Hold Hairspray from Kenra.