Pixie Braids Hairstyles – How-to, Pictures, Best Hair To Use and Care
Pixie braids are braids hairstyles with countless of tiny title braids that cover the most part or the whole head. This braids hairstyle in commonly worn by African-American or Black women. The pixie braids consist of many threads of braiding hair that have an approximate width of one pencil. These pixie braids are usually 6 to 24 inches in length and the stylists singe the ends to keep them from unraveling. Since the braids don’t harm the hair and are very versatile, the hair style is very popular among black women trying to grow their real or natural hair. Pixie braids can last between 1 and 3 months.
Best Hair to Use for Pixie Braids
The best thing about pixie braids is you can do them fast and very cheaply. All you need is the long 99 cent packs of hair. If you prefer something that is more silky, you can use yarn hair. The yarn may produce a few knots after a month or so but they yarn hair do not tangle as bad as other type of braiding hair. We also recommend synthetic hair weave like kanekalon!
RELATED: Tree Braids Styles, Pictures, Tutorials, Best Hair To Use, Maintenance
How to Do the Pixie Braids
You Will Need:
- Rat tail comb
- Hair moisturizer
- Wide tooth comb
- Boiling water (for finish ends)
- Parting comb
- Synthetic hair weave (preferably kanekalon)
Step-by-Step Pixie Braids Tutorials:
1. Start by cleaning your hair. Shampoo & condition your hair before braiding to reduce breakage. Dry the hair and then comb it using wide-tooth comb to get rid of tangles. Apply a leave-in conditioner all over your hair.
2. Next, part the hair into 3 equally sized sections; upper, center and lower. Take lower section of the hair and then subdivide it into 3 sections as well; right, left & middle. Hold all the sections of the head using some duckbill clips.
3. Release one of the sections from lower portion of the hair. Take one small portion of this hair from newly’ released section and then separate into 3 equal parts; right, left and middle.
4. Cross right piece of the hair over towards your left side, so that it becomes your middle strand. Then cross your left-strand over towards right so that it becomes the middle strand, therefore making the former middle-strand the right-strand. Pull these strands tightly enough as you cross all of them to create the braid. Continue with the process until this piece is fully braided.
5. Pick braided piece, roll-it up just like you would pin curl and then stop rolling once you are about 2 inches away from the scalp. Use a flat iron to press the pin curls and release. Let hair unroll to unveil the pixie braid.
6. Repeat the 3rd, 4th and 5th steps until your entire head is full of braids. Spray your sheen all your braids. You can also go through different portfolios and pixie braids pictures for more information on how to this hair style. Once you have done this your braids are now ready for styling. Read on to see how to style your pixie.
Pixie With Extensions How-To Video
Video Credit: Diary of A Mad Natural
Pixie Without Extensions How-To Video
Video Credit: MummysGirl81
How to Style Pixie Braids
Pixie braids are a chick hairstyle in themselves that can completely transform your look. What makes them even more popular is that these braids offer the possibility to style them in very many different ways. Below are some styles.
- A good detangling moisturizer
1. The basic and easiest pixie braid hairstyle would be to simply take all the strands and then tie them up together like a ponytail. A sleek ponytail of many braids is quite a fashionable statement. This style is a favorite amongst women who do not find the time to style their hair every morning but still prefer an easy and trendy style.
2. You can also make a bun with the braids. This style is best for the working woman.
3. For a more fun look, let all your braids fall loose.
4. Style your braids and give them a curly, straight, wavy or even a wet look, depending upon your mood.
5. You can also go a step further and experiment with your braids to give a more complex pattern. The braids can be woven into each other to make a thick braid.
6. Use beads and other embellished accessories to style your braids. You can even change the colors to match your outfit.
Video Credit: forevertrue06
Pixie Braids Pictures
Many hairstylists have many pixie braids pictures in many different styles that can give you an idea of the kind of design you want. Just talk to your stylist and s/he will give you more tips on how to style pixie braids.
Want to learn more about Pixie braids hairstyles and other braiding styles and how to maintain them? Follow us on: Instagram + Facebook + Twitter + Pinterest + Google+